Contemporary Laser Technology for Women’s Health
Treatment of Atrophy of Vaginal Mucosa with the Laser Er:YAG (Non-Invasive)
What is atrophy of vaginal mucosa and how to recognize it?
Most of the women in the perimenopause and menopause start feeling pain, itching and irritation in the vagina, sexual intercourse becomes painful or even impossible. If you also feel similar troubles, it might be that atrophy of vaginal mucosa is developing.
Atrophy of vaginal mucosa develops because of hormonal changes in a woman’s body and causes thinning of the vaginal mucosa, as a result it becomes dry and fragile, susceptible to mechanical stress and infections.
Causes of atrophy of vaginal mucosa:
- loss of ovarian function after chemotherapy (because of breast cancer, etc.)
- removal of ovary
- use of medication which inhibits the ovarian function, etc.
Symptoms of atrophy of vaginal mucosa:
- dryness in the vagina
- painful and impossible sexual intercourse
- itching in the vagina
- recurrent vaginal infections
- bloody secretion after intercourse (in case this symptom occurs in menopause it is NECESSARY to urgently get an appointment with a gynaecologist because this might be a symptom of an oncological disease)
Often it causes big discomfort for a woman and it makes sexual life of a woman very complicated and reduces her life quality. Until now the treatment alternative was hormonal therapy (which is often contraindicated, e.g. after the treatment of breast cancer, or not recommended), phytoestrogens therapy (unfortunately, it is effective not for all women) and lubricants for improving sexual intercourse.
Thanks to the most advanced technology, the treatment with the laser Er:YAG (SMOOTH) is a safe and effective way for a women to get rid of vaginal mucosa atrophy symptoms and to feel comfortable in her everyday life and her intimate life.
What is the principle of this laser treatment?
The photothermic effect of the laser activates tissue macrophages which synthesize collagen and the synthesis of new blood vessels is stimulated; therefore, the nutrition and metabolism of vaginal mucosa and oxygen supply improves. The laser effect causes vaginal mucosa symptoms to disappear. The effect after the treatment lasts for about a year. After that the treatment might be repeated.
Is this a safe treatment for women?
The laser is completely safe for women and their internal organs. The laser operates in the depth of 10-11 mm from the vaginal walls and does not affect cervix, uterus (myomas), ovarian and other organs; therefore, benign diseases of these organs are not a contraindication for the procedure (except existing oncological diseases).
What are the contraindications for the treatments?
- inflammations of vagina, bladder and internal genitals
- existing oncological disease (after the treatment – the treatment is safe and especially recommended after the treatment of breast cancer with Tamoxifen for restoring the vaginal mucosa as a safe and effective alternative for hormonotherapy)
- blood system diseases
- pregnancy (the treatment performed before the pregnancy does not have any effect on future pregnancies and childbirths)
Is the anonymity of the treatment guaranteed?
SUGIHARA Clinics guarantees complete anonymity and confidentiality. The treatment is being perform and consultations given by a female doctor. This is particularly important when one needs to talk about problems and difficulties of intimate life.
How is the treatment performed?
IncontilLase TM and IntimaLase TM is suitable not for every patient. It is necessary to get a consultation from the doctor gynaecologist before the treatment. If during the consultation it is established that the treatment with IncontilLase TM/IntimaLase TM is recommended for you, the treatment may be performed immediately after the consultation.
What tests should be performed before the treatment or consultation?
For consultation you need to have with you the results of the following tests:
- Normal oncocytological (PAP) smear (of the current year)
- Urine test (it is necessary to check whether there is no urinary infection)
- Vaginal flora examination (it is necessary to check whether there is no inflammation)
- Female genital ultrasound description (myomas is not a contraindication to this treatment)
- Not a menstrual period
- No obesity, KMI < 33
- The woman’s work is not related to lifting heavy items daily
- No pregnancy
For how long does the whole procedure last?
A consultation lasts for up to 30 min. and the laser treatment is short approximately 15-30 min.
How many treatments are needed?
Most often two treatments is needed with one-month gab between them but it might be that up to four treatments are needed (depends on severity of the pathology)
Is the treatment painful?
The treatment is not painful, additional anaesthesia (pain relief) is not needed. Due to drying of mucosa during the first treatment the entry of the manipulator into the vagina may be a little unpleasant.
What can one expect after the treatment?
- After the treatment it is allowed to immediately return to the daily work
- Improvement will be noticed immediately after the treatment and it will strengthen within the coming six months (high satisfaction rate)
What are the recommendations after the treatment?
- not to have any sexual intercourse for 1 week after the treatment
- not to take a bath, not to go to a pool for 1 week after the treatment
- to avoid constipation for 2 weeks after the treatment
- to avoid lifting heavy items for 1 month after the treatment
- to come for an additional treatment after 1 month
For how long will the results last?
The improvement remains for 1 year. After that it is possible to repeat the treatment.
Initial consultation (up to 30 min.) EUR 30
Repeated consultation (15 min.) EUR 20
Therapeutic laser gynaecology treatment EUR 145